Friday, October 22, 2010

Is there really such thing as a cool librarian?

I have recently read some disturbing analyses about the character of librarians.  Sweeping generalizations, really.

It's frustrating to hear people describe librarians as dowdy, bitchy, snotty, and in need of a life.  I wish I could introduce everyone to the wonderful librarians I've had the pleasure of meeting and working with...people whose main focus in life is to provide access to information equally to everyone. If our profession has a credo, that's probably it.

It's important to realize that not all library employees are librarians.  Let's say a library branch has 10 employees.  Of those 10, perhaps three of them are librarians; the rest are library assistants or clerks.  The person you think looked at you crossly during your last library expedition most likely wasn't a librarian at all.  Am I saying there are no bitchy or difficult librarians?  Of course not.  I've met a couple, believe me.  But these people would have been cranky doctors, teachers, or cooks if that is where they had ended up careerwise.  They aren't cranky because they are librarians.  The stereotype of the dowdy, bun-wearing, dried-up librarian needs to be put to rest.

I'm sharing some blogs that hopefully will shed new light on the profession of librarian.  Make no mistake, it's a dynamic, ever-evolving profession.  There is an absolute need to keep up with technology and popular culture:

How to Be a Hip Librarian

The Lipstick Librarian

Librarian in Black

Cool Librarian Blog

Libraryman

The Shifted Librarian

Dispatches from a Public Librarian

Regarding the title of this blog...I'd say yes, there really is such thing as a cool librarian!

2 comments:

Holly Loves Art said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Librarians are cool! Have a great weekend.
Holly

{oc cottage} said...

I'll have to pass these links on to my niece!


m ^..^